Updated: Aug 1, 2018
Tennis is a racket sport that can be played individually against a single opponent (singles) or between two teams of two players each (doubles). It is one of the most popular individual sports in the world as well as it is Olympic game. It can be played at all levels of society and at all ages. This sport can be played by anyone who can hold a racket, including wheelchair users.
Flexibility, balance, aerobic health, and strength are all required in order to garner the best results from your tennis skills; that is, you need to work on all four areas to be physically fit for successful tennis. Also it is a game of repetitive short, high-intensity sprints that often require explosive strength (i.e., quick steps and leg push-off) along with muscular force at the shoulder and upper extremity when striking the ball. These are coupled with the need for a high degree of mental focus, visuomotor timing, and attention to visual tracking. It's one of the highest competitive sport discipline.
On top of above tennis is a great fun!
Some of the courts in Liverpool and Wirral area are FREE to use. Here is the list of them:
1. Liverpool Tennis Centre (near Wavertree Aquatics Centre) Wavertree Sports Park, Wellington Road, Liverpool, L15 4LE; T: 0151 233 5433
2. The Vagabonds Lawn Tennis Club 433 Queens Drive, Liverpool, L13 0AG; T: 0151 228 2568
3. East Wavertree Lawn Tennis Club 129A Dunbabin Road, Liverpool, L16 7QQ; T: 0151 722 3455 4. Mersey Bowmen Tennis Club Aigburth Drive, Liverpool, L17 1AP; T: 07742 261395
5. Cressington Tennis Club 43-45 Salisbury Road, Liverpool, L19 0PH; T: 0151 427 9454
6. Palmerston Tennis Club 42 Elm Hall Drive, Liverpool, L18 5HZ,; T: 0151 733 7063
7. Trinity Tennis Club 27 Lynwood Road, Liverpool, L9 3AE; T: 0151 286 4012
8. Cressington Tennis Club 43-45 Salisbury Road, Liverpool, L19 0PH; T: 0151 427 9454
9. David Lloyd Club Knowsley Arbour Lane, Liverpool, L33 7ET; T: 0345 129 6799
10. David Lloyd Speke 6 The Aerodrome, Speke, Liverpool, L24 8QD; T: 0345 125 2781
11. Liverpool Cricket Club Aigburth Road, Liverpool, L19 3QF; T: 0151 427 2930
12. Mossley Hill Athletic Club Mossley Hill Road, Liverpool, L18 4PT; firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Bohemians Tennis Club Liverpool Sandforth Court, Queen’s Drive, Liverpool, L13 0DQ; T: 0151 228 7132
14. Princes Park Princes Drive, Liverpool, L8 3SB; Martin.Jones14@liverpool.gov.uk
15. Sefton Park Sefton Park, Liverpool, L17 1AP; to book click here.
16. Blundellsands Tennis Club Warren Road,Blundellsands, Merseyside, L23 6UF; T: 0151 924 4624
17. Formby Lawn Tennis Club 90 Gores Lane, Formby, L37 7DF; T: 01704 872906
18. Maghull Tennis Club Kgv Complex, Maghull, Merseyside, L31 3DY; T: 0151 526 3705
19. Waterloo Tennis Club Park Road, Waterloo, Liverpool, L22 3XG; T: 07590 696009
20. Birkenhead Lawn Tennis Club 1a Sandy Way, Oxton, CH43 1TZ; T: 0151 652 2163
21. Arrowe Park Playing Fields Arrowe Park Road, Wirral, CH49 5LP; T: 0151 666 4140
22. Ashton Park Carpenter’s Lane, West Kirby, Hoylake, CH48 7EX 23. Birkenhead Park Park Road North, Birkenhead, CH41 8AX 24. Coronation Park Greasby Road, Birkenhead, CH49 2PW 25. Harrison Park Wallasey, CH45 3HL 26. Higher Bebington Recreation Ground Bebington, Wirral, CH63 8LS 27. Irby Park Mill Hill Road, Heswall, CH61 4UE 28. Meols Parade Gardens Meols, Hoylake, CH47 3AH 29. Saughall Grange Orchard Grange, Wirral, CH46 6DQ 30. Torr Park Eastham Eastham Village Road, Eastham, CH62 0BL 31. Marine Park King’s parade, Wallasey, CH45 2NY 32. Wirral Indoor Tennis Centre, Valley Road, Birkenhead, CH41 7EJ; T: 0151 666 4140
If you would like to get more information and join mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+) please click here.
If you would like to get more information about Mersey Bowmen Lawn Tennis Club and join please click here.